Tuesday, January 18, 2011

FringeNYC: Year 15 :::faints:::

Though I haven't yet enacted my scheme to teach a Learning Annex class on "How To Get Accepted By FringeNYC"*, I still react with great excitement and anticipation when the applications are posted to the Fringe NYC website. So, they're here. They are due, as always, on St. Valentine's Day.

Sometime in the near future, I will likely be writing something long and epic about the wonderful and sometimes maligned Festival, possibly somewhere else, so I wil keep my remarks here to a minimum. FringeNYC is a monster and a wonder. It changed things, not least of all me. Many of the complaints seem inexplicable and over-privileged to me. And I have no interest in arguing about that here. If you don't like it, stay at home and run yer own damn festival.

Everyone else, apply if you want. See theater. That's all.

*I'm kidding. I'm always willing to proffer general advice but (and I can't say this strongly enough), you cannot game the system. I will not help you "get into FringeNYC". The end.

(the above is the postcard from my first FringeNYC show in 2000. Illustration by me)

No comments: