Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lifetime + Oscar Winner = OMG My Daughter Has the Pox!

More on Twilight later, I promise.

As I was eating my lunch this afternoon, I turned on the TV and I got completely sucked into a movie about teens with Syphilis airing on (of course) Lifetime. I am sort of secretly addicted to servicey, problem-based TV movies. They are like crack. I fully realize I am losing any kind of credibility whatsoever. Marcia Gay Harden is the mom in the syphilis one. Mercedes Ruehl is the mom in the one on next. Tilda Swinton is the mom in one airing later tonight*. These films are all ostensibly being played as a part of the "Can You Keep a Secret?" event. An alternative name could be the "I won an Oscar and now I'm the mom of a troubled teenage girl on a Lifetime TV movie!" marathon. If we needed more evidence that there are like zero movie roles for women over the age of forty, this is it. And please don't bring up La Streep in the comments. I love her, but whatever roles there are, she gets nearly all of them. And for the slightly younger older lady set. Julianne Moore seems to get the rest. And yes, I know saying zero roles is an exaggeration, but three Oscar winners in Lifetime movies in one afternoon is a little much.

*Upon further research, it looks as if the Tilda Swinton one was not necessarily intended to be a TV movie. But it has the added bonus value of Timothy Hutton, another Oscar winner. And I fucking love Tilda Swinton. She is my biggest girl-crush ever.

No comments: