Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Troll Lady vs. Boring Adonis!

Last night's open drawing was a completely riveting study in contrasts. Usually, the models are burlesque dancers (on one memorable Thursday we were graced with the presence of World Famous *Bob*), actresses, dancers and the occasional clown or Bindle alum. With the notable exception of one clown, the men tend to range from creepy to super creepy. Last night, however, was a deviation from the naked (or costumed!) norm on all possible fronts.

Okay. First the wondrous being I have named "Troll Lady". And I really, really do not mean that unkindly. She is a tiny, wiry, hairless (except for a tuft of blue hair on the top of her skull, hence the nickname), nearly androgynous being. I have no idea how old she is, but I would be shocked if she wasn't at least 70. Some of you may not know this, but art modeling is a reasonably physically taxing gig, so I wondered how this tiny little older person would fare. I needn't have worried. She started off in yoga poses for the two minute sketches. Fine. Not easy, but, like, doable. But then she continued doing yoga poses for the five minutes, ten minutes, twenty minutes. I swear, she never even broke a sweat. This woman has about 30 years on me and I'm pretty flexible (but, admittedly, a total yoga weakling) and there is no way in holy hell I could have done anything she did. She also seemed really sunny and altogether delightful.



Now on to whatshisface. Oh, right. Boring Adonis. He is, as his name implies, sort of perfect. He's basically Michelangelo's David made flesh. If Michelangelo's David was completely boring and forgettable. I mean, poor guy. Here he is trying to do his job and pose interestingly, and he's being completely upstaged by a tiny woman old enough to be his grannie. It's such an odd thing, isn't it? I mean sexual attraction of any sort. Here's this naked perfect boy person in front of me for about three hours and he left me completely and utterly cold. I saw him on the subway platform after class and thought to myself, "Hm. That guy looks vaguely familiar", before I realized I had just drawn, like, five pictures of him. Even my drawings of him are dull. Very academic and rote.

So, clearly, Troll Lady was the victor!



I just wonder who she is and where she came from. I picture her living in a tree trunk with other beings just like her. It could be possible, right?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Troll Lady kind of looks like Gollum. If Gollum were a scary old lady with a tuft of blue hair.

Caviglia said...

Scary? Really? Not so much.

Unknown said...

I wish I could have gone. Alas, I'm still sick.

the gorgeous thing. yeah, when drawing, I usually prefer the odd body over an adonis. Maybe it's different in sculpture when you have the proportions in hand (so to speak;)