Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cephalopod Cakes!

On Monday, a gallery of Cthuhlu-themed cakes was featured on Great White Snark. Sadly, with the exception of the one with the tentacles breaking through the icing, (which is nicely rendered, if unappetizing), they are pretty Cake Wreck-y. So, I decided to take the bull by the horns, er- the squid by the beak, and seek out some more thrilling versions of cephalopod cake art. My search was long and arduous: I typed the phrase "squid cake" (with quotation marks) into Google and scrolled through more than four pages of results. I suffered so you wouldn't have to.

This is what I found.



Found here. This is now one of my favorite flickr photos.



The above restrained and tasteful squidcake was created by the obviously very talented Glenn the Baker.

Though both of the cakes pictured above are quite lovely, I am sure you have noticed a most disturbing squidcake trend. Like current studio made motion pictures, squidcakes have succumbed to the scourge of Teal and Orange. We can only pray for the state of cake-dom, as we know that Teal and Orange is horribly contagious.



This, however, is a thing of pure wonder. I'm having trouble finding a source for it - if anyone knows who this remarkable squidcake artist is - please let me know so that I can credit them properly.



The above squidcake, aptly titled "Squid Vs. Octopus" is clearly the most narratively complex of all the cakes I've featured. I found it on sockstealingnome's deviantart page. It's pretty much all charm.

The one thing I discovered in this little expedition is that quality squid cakes are few and far between (I also discovered many cakes made of squid, but the less said about that the better). There are many subpar squidcakes, which are just - sad. Hold out for quality, I say!

In completely unrelated news - 122 shopping days until my birthday!

1 comment:

makincakers said...

The amazing octopus cake you had trouble tracking was made by highland bakery in atlanta georgia by a karen.....someone. If you think that is cool, look at her sumo wrestler or any of her other cakes!