Monday, January 10, 2011

Dozens of Little Pieces of Paper

On Sunday, I visited the library in West Egg for the first time in [redacted] years, where I participated in a panel discussion of women writers (more on that later), and one thing that stood out was the missing card catalog. To be honest, I think they did switch over to computers before I left, but my memories are all of rows and rows of wood cabinets containing little paper cards. So, it was such a lovely surprise when I saw on the Brooklyn Museum blog today that they were offering their long unused library cards to anyone who wanted to use them to create something - all they ask in return it to hear back about what you've come up with.

This sounded like really exciting project to me, so on Thursday I'm heading to the museum's library to pick up my cards. I love the idea of repurposing these repositories of history.

(photo: courtesy the Brooklyn Museum)

No comments: